Pages

Thursday, December 11, 2008

Happy Birthday to…Me?

Today is one of those curious days called my birthday. (Mine isn’t any more curious than anyone else’s, it’s just a good time to bring up the topic.) Everything I came into the world with, and every natural part of me that has grown or developed since then, is now officially one year older and as of today must be recognized as such. Isn’t that odd? I mean, I’m just toodling along one day after the next, and all of a sudden I’m supposed to realize that I have changed. Ba-da-bing. Completely ignoring the biological fact that many parts of me have died or are dying, and many parts of me are brand new or are just getting ready to sprout.

So whose birthday is it, anyway? Which part of me has been here the whole time, growing one year older all of a sudden every December 11th?

I lived in Spain some years ago and just love what they do on their birthdays. Instead of receiving presents, they give presents to all their friends. It was like a trip to upside-down world. Children’s birthday parties are big give-away sessions. I like to ponder how that way of celebrating one’s special day shapes their culture and their view of the world. Because what’s special about you becomes what you give, not what you get.

In honor of Spaniards getting it totally right, I have a birthday wish to give to you : May you bring only kindness to all those you encounter today.

4 comments:

  1. My mother's birthday was yesterday - and since she is the reason in this life I even HAVE a birthday - I love the sentiment of this post!

    And BTW - your gift is GREATLY appreciated today!

    Happy "karmic package taking birth as Chreeeeesty" day!

    Lots of love - the other C.H.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Bowdawg! I love the "karmic package" identity. Much more accurate than the name on my drivers license!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always thought a Buddhist line of greeting cards should include ones that say "Happy Rebirthday".

    So you're a Capricorn like me? Figures.

    In Mongolia, it's also the rebirthday boy or girl who takes everyone else out for dinner and a rave. Which is why I'm always "on retreat" on mine, Dec. 31. Who can afford that?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ani-la

    Another Buddhist bday greeting:

    Many happy returns!

    so glad Konchog pointed me to your blog -- loving it

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete