Pages

Saturday, August 29, 2009

Letter to Ted

Dear Ted,
I never met you, but as someone whose life has been touched by a great deal of your work, I feel like I know you well. I am so very grateful for your service to this country and to countless people around the world.

It is a difficult thing to keep hope alive in the hearts of those who feel hopeless. You used your life to do that despite the many times when you yourself must have felt hopeless. Even the times when you helped a single individual gain freedom, it created a better world for all of us. You never once decided you had done enough for others and that now you could rest. I ponder the ripple effect of such kindness, courage and tireless effort. I rejoice in those decisions.

I know you didn't always make good decisions. I know sometimes you made downright horrendous ones. Though my mind is like a teeter-totter that wants to form a final conclusion about you, I make myself step back and look at the whole picture. In this lifetime, you did what we have all done in each of our countless lives-- created a mix of virtue and non-virtue.

Even though you were Catholic in this life, I believe you would have been fine with any manner of prayer sent your way---especially prayer that included everyone else-- so I offer this one on your behalf.
Dedication of Merit
by Jetsunma Ahkon Lhamo


By this effort, may all sentient beings be free of suffering
May their minds be filled with the nectar of virtue
In this way, may all causes of suffering be extinguished,
and only the Light of Compassion shine throughout all realms.

Love,
Ani Sangye

No comments:

Post a Comment